Church of the Valley’s history is rooted in the stories of two earlier Disciple of Christ churches. In 1989, Central Christian Church of Van Nuys merged with The Little Brown Church of Studio City to form the Church of the Valley. Each of these congregations brought a rich tradition of ministry and faith to this new union. Today, Church of the Valley is one congregation worshiping in two locations each Sunday.
The Central Christian Church was founded over 100 years ago by a small committed group with the aid of a renowned evangelist. A large congregation soon developed, and in 1924 the building within which we worship today was constructed. The Little Brown Church grew out of the vision of the Rev. John Wells who saw the need for a refuge in the midst of the city- where the doors would always remain open for those seeking seek spiritual solace. The simple chapel was erected in 1939 and soon housed a flourishing congregation under Rev. Wells leadership.
The two churches which came together in 1989 to form Church of the Valley were very different, but the people themselves shared common traits: adaptability, pragmatism, hopefulness, and commitment. They also share some fundamental qualities which describe all Disciples of Christ: